- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup hot water
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 cups milk (fat-free, 2%, whole, dairy, or non-dairy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the cocoa, sugar, water, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Over medium heat, stir constantly until hot. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in the milk and heat, but do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and add vanilla; stir well. Serve immediately.
To spice up the hot cocoa you can add a drop peppermint extract, a cinnamon stick, or a pinch of cinnamon at step 2. You can also cinnamon, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, nutmeg, or marshmallows as toppings after you have finished cooking it or put a peppermint in the mug. My favorite thing to add is a marshmallow, a cinnamon stick, and a pinch of nutmeg.